State Jail Inmate Locator

When a family is told that their loved one is going to be sent to the State Penitentiary they frequently think that means he is being sent to Huntsville.  Actually there are a several different State jails that he could be sent to.  The Texas Department of Criminal Justice has set up an Inmate Locator website to help you find the person you are looking for.

Aside from a name search the site has two different numbers you can use.  The TDCJ number is the number that has been assigned to an inmate by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.  They use that number the same way Bexar County uses a sid number.  When TDCJ asks for a sid number on their locator site they are referring to what everyone else calls a DPS number.

26 thoughts on “State Jail Inmate Locator

  1. elisabeth

    I’ve been trying to find my brother in law since 26 December. I’ve been informed that he was arrested and transferred from Kansas to San Antonio,Texas. No jail in Kansas or Texas had him registered. How can I find him?

    • admin

      Elisabeth – Inmates who are transported long distance get on a bus that goes all over the country picking up and dropping off inmates. They stop at different jails and book the inmates in. That gives the driver time to get a hotel room to get some sleep. Trips can take weeks.

  2. rose

    i just found out my nephew is in jail in san antonio county jail im trying to put money on his books and dont know how and i cant find him on the inmate locater what do i do

    • admin

      Rose – Call Central Records at 210-335-6201. They can tell you if he is there. They will need his name and date of birth. They can also give you his sid number which you will need to put money in his commissary account. Once you have this information you can go to our Money For Commissary section for the different ways you can add money.

    • admin

      Kerrie – We are not the Bexar County jail. We are a private website that tries to help people who are dealing with the jail. You need to contact Central Records at 210-335-6201. They will be able to help you.

  3. Marika

    I am trying to find my friends name and info on bexar county jail website. I dont know where 2 look. I need 2 know what her charge and bond is. Can anyone help me pls??

    • admin

      Marika – Call Central Records at 210-335-6201. You will need her name and date of birth. If she is in the jail they can give you the information you are looking for.

    • admin

      Gaylan – We’re confused by your question. Prisons are state level facilities. We figure you probably mean the Bexar County jail, not the magistrates office. But to be sure we suggest you contact Central Records at 210-335-6201 to find out where he is. It will be better than running all over the place. They will also be able to give you the address.

  4. Mary

    My friend had court yesterday. The judge gave him continued on probation. What does that mean as he is still in jail.

    • admin

      Mary – The jail has to wait for the paperwork from the courts to be sent to them. Then it goes in a stack in the order it came in to be processed out. If there was a lot of other people getting released it can take quite a while.

      We would like to ask our readers to help spread the word about our website. Please recommend us to people you know. Thank you.

    • admin

      Donna – We’re not exactly sure what you are asking. Do you mean does he get 2 for 1 or something like that. We don’t have that information. We only deal with the Bexar County jail, not the state system. Or do you mean, is there something you can do to lower the amount of time he has to serve? If so, that’s a legal question and you need to speak to his attorney.

      We would like to ask our readers to help spread the word about our website. Please recommend us to people you know. Thank you

  5. jasmine

    my boyfriend is an inmate in Bexar County jail and he’s supposed to be transferred to Mtc/isf. he’s had other inmates go to court, sigh then leave to the exact same facility but he signed months before them. why hasn’t he left yet?

    • admin

      Jasmine – You would have to ask his attorney what the problem is.

      We would like to ask our readers to help spread the word about our website. Please recommend us to people you know. Thank you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *